Monday, November 16, 2015

Perspective


Cielo Mabansag

As a young girl, I was closest to my grandpa 'Tatay Calixtro'. He lived in Catbalogan Samar all his life and died in his 90's just last year, a few months after Typhoon Haiyan. I guess, the trauma of losing his home and trying to rebuild it again was too much for his old, tired body.
Tatay Calixtro lived in the Samar/Leyte area, known in the Philippines as the place where typhoons pass by. The people know to brace themselves, let the wind/rain/debris pass over, and then they pick up from where they left off. Nobody gets stuck too much in the past here. Why would you? The next storm is on its way already.
 'Kay waray ako kwarta' (because I don’t have money). I heard this phrase spoken during every single interview I did yesterday during the TWECS registration. One of the 'Lolo's' was generating laughter yesterday because he needed glasses That's why the TWECS mission is really valuable because it brings an important commodity like eyeglassses to the people who can't otherwise afford it. Glasses give people better chances in life because hard work is not enough if you can't see.

(PS. Thank you Marina for picking me to help with the interview, I love talking to my peeps!)
A "perspective" in Yolanda Village














What can I say about this TWECS project... best use of vacation time! My feeling is summarized by Anton Ego in Ratatouille:
Mustafa: Do you know what you'd like this evening, sir?
Anton Ego:  .....you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?
I found perspective after Day 1! I'll look for the nice beach later :)
Cielo Mabansag, Whistler BC


Yolanda marker, the Eva Jocelyn Cargo Ship stays where she landed on the day of the storm

No comments:

Post a Comment