Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Mother and Daughter Return Together to their Home Town

Nov. 8,2013 Typhoon Haiyan hit the island of Leyte, including my Mom's hometown of Tanauan.  It was the largest typhoon to hit land and over 7300 people died or were listed as missing.  For days we had no idea if our loved ones had made it but we were fortunate.  
Over the last two years we have sent boxes and boxes of donated clothing and  supplies to aid the victims of Typhoon Haiyan. When the opportunity came to join the TWECS mission it wasn't even a question... we had to go.  Mom went home last year but I haven't been to Tanauan since 2005 so I am both excited to see my family but am not ready to see our ancestral home, which is still being repaired two years later.  I am so happy to be able to contribute in aiding the victims of Typhoon Haiyan and thankful to TWECS for providing us the opportunity.
Irene Mestito-Dao
Optometrist, Winnipeg Manitoba

Ancestral Home Before Typhoon Yolanda

Ancestral Home After Typhoon Yolanda

Since I graduated from nursing in 1964 I always had a dream of going home to Leyte to work or do some form of volunteering for my hometown. You cannot imagine my feeling when My daughter Irene mentioned that there would  be medical mission for Tanauan.  I wished I could qualify for this mission.  When I found out I had qualified I was so happy that my dream of helping my town was finally happening.
We went home last year so we saw the devastation of the typhoon.  Even after a year it looks so bad to see the damage . The places I used to play are are all gone. Talking with my friend also made it worst when they describe how they survived the typhoon.
Now my dream of helping the people that I know, that I played with during my childhood, my friends and relatives is only days away from becoming a reality.  Thank you very much for including me on this mission.

Olivia Mestito (Mother)
Volunteer, Winnipeg Manitoba

No comments:

Post a Comment